An Overview of the ILMP
The International Leadership and Management Programs (ILMP) offer professional development for practitioners, designed to improve student learning in your school.
The ILMP Programs have been based on current, reliable and valid research combined with evidence and collective experience. They have been designed to impact on learning by improving knowledge, skills and understanding of school leadership and management.
The focus of school leadership should be learning, which is its core business.
School leadership is second only to classroom instruction among all school-related factors that contribute to what students learn at school.
While evidence about leadership effects on student learning can be confusing to interpret, much of the existing research actually underestimates its effects.
Total (direct and indirect) effects of leadership on student learning account for about one quarter of the total school effects.
Professor Ken Leithwood
Professor of Educational Leadership, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, Canada
ILMP Program Outcomes
Each ILMP program has been designed around a set of outcomes. Whether you are interested in attending a Senior Leader program or a Middle Leader course, this is what the ILMP will help you will achieve. The key outcomes have been divided into four key areas focused on improving your leadership for learning.
1. Individual passions and beliefs
- To be able to consistently question and reflect upon yourself as a leader focused on improving student learning
- To be able to provide strategic, confident and sustained internationally minded leadership for improved student learning
- To increase your knowledge, skills and understanding of how your leadership can improve learning indirectly
- To increase your knowledge, skills and understanding of the importance of defining leadership and learning; and to align and focus all practices against these definitions
- To increase your knowledge, skills and understanding of the differences between leadership and management
- To increase your knowledge and understanding of the current research about the effects of leadership on improving learning
2. Collective passions and beliefs
- To increase your skills in developing and challenging individuals and teams so that they become more focused on improving learning
- To feel increasingly confident in your roles as leader, coach and mentor with your senior and middle leadership colleagues and teams
- To increase your knowledge, skills and understanding of leadership and the change process and innovation
- To be able to inspire a collective passion for improving learning for all your school’s stake holders (learners, teachers, leaders and community)
- To increase your skills in creating a culture and professional community around dialogue, trust, informed and collaborative professionalism which is focused on improving learning
- To increase your knowledge and be able to implement the leadership practices associated with distributed leadership
- To increase your knowledge, skills and understanding of how to use information and evidence about students’ learning to inform your leadership practice and to improve learning
- To increase your skills in identifying and improving learning linked to your school’s collective definition of learning
- To be able to take responsibility for your key areas of learning improvement and be accountable for the outcome of these actions and the impact on students’ learning
4. Structures and systems
- To increase your knowledge, skills and understanding of structures and systems focused on improving learning
- To reflect and review your own structures and systems in order for them to contribute to the improvement of students’ learning
5. Other Outcomes
- To contribute to and gain from a cohort of like-minded leaders from all over the world, sharing common leadership themes about improving learning through diverse contexts
- To be able to contribute to a growing network of internationally minded leaders with growth mindsets who are focused on improving learning
With the ILMP you have the option of either doing the Middle Leaders Program or the Senior Leaders Program, depending on the stage of your professional career