Introducing St. Paul’s School, Säo Paulo, Brazil
St. Paul`s School was opened in February 1926 to "provide a sound education for the sons and daughters of British parents". The number of British families in Brazil had grown since 1867 when the British-owned São Paulo - Santos Railway line was opened and the necessity for a more formal British education arose.
It was because of the initiative and determination of Canon Humphrey Tudor Morrey Jones who was the Chaplain of St. Paul`s Anglican Church that the school was established. He had worked in Buenos Aires before coming to Brazil and was impressed by the British schools there. He talked to the Superintendent of the Railway Company, Col. E.A. Johnston and convinced him that his project was viable and together they established the Escola Britânica S.A.
The school was based in Rua Tamandaré, Aclimaҫao and had room for 16 boarders, four resident masters, a matron and day-pupils. When the school opened in 1926 it had 88 pupils. The first Headmaster was Mr. J.A. Dodd who had worked in Rhodesia and then in Buenos Aires.
The land in Jardim Paulistano was bought in 1927 and the original building had rooms in the basement for Music and Dancing lessons, large classrooms, the Headmaster`s room, the office, dining room and kitchen in the ground floor and dormitories, a sickroom, a staff room and a Headmaster`s wing in the first floor.